Monday, May 19, 2008

Mango Chicken Curry

I love curry dishes! I made this last night, it was wonderful! It reminded me of my mom, she always cooked like this... Now this recipe is a little spicy and if you don't like curry, it's not for you! Brian hates it.

Ingredients
  • 3 Tbsp (or more) of vegetable oil
  • 1 large onion
  • 1/2 red bell pepper (I used a whole one)
  • 2 garlic cloves (I used 4)
  • 2 Tbsp FRESH minced ginger
  • 2 Tbsp of yellow curry powder
  • 1/2 tsp ground cumin
  • 2 mango's, peeled and diced
  • 2 Tbsp cider vinegar or white vinegar
  • 1 1/4 cup water
  • 1 1/4 lbs skinless boneless chicken thighs or breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
  • 1/3 cup golden raisins
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream
  • salt and pepper
  • sugar
  • Cilantro for garnish

Directions

  1. Heat 2 Tbsp of oil in a large saute' pan over med-high heat. Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 5 min. Add the red bell pepper and another Tbsp of oil, cook a couple of minutes more. Add the curry powder and cumin, cook for a few more minutes. The spices will absorb some of the oil, so if anything begins to stick too much to the bottom of the pan, add a little more oil to the pan. Add the ginger and garlic, cook for one more minute more.
  2. Add the vinegar, water, and 1/2 of the chopped mango to the pan. Increase the heat and bring to a boil, then lower the heat to maintain a low simmer for about 15 , minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove pan from heat. Scoop the sauce into a blender. Puree the sauce, pulsing until smooth. Return the sauce to the pan
  3. Add chicken pieces and raisins to the pan. Return to a low simmer. Cover the pan and let cook for 8-10 minutes. Chicken should be just cooked through. (Use a knife to cut open the largest piece to check)
  4. Add remaining mango pieces to the pan. Stir in the cream. Let it cook at a very low temperature for another minute or two, uncovered. Do not let boil! The cream will curdle and you don't want that! Add salt and pepper. Taste, if too bitter add sugar, if too sweet add vinegar. I had to at least add 2-3 Tbsp of sugar when I made it.

Serve over rice or couscous.

I didn't cook the chicken in the sauce. I actually made a tempura style batter and cooked the chicken separately chopped it in to 1-inch pieces, dipped the chicken and fried it in oil. Still good.

4 comments:

NessaAnn said...

Wow, this looks FANTASTIC! Jan has a slightly similar recipe and I've been coveting it for year. Maybe I can now rival her prowess. Yum yum! Where do you buy your produce?

The VanSickles said...

I get most of my produce at the Buehlers on 1st. The Walmart on the Westside has really good produce too, which is really surprising because Walmart sucks.

Kathy Twitchell said...

I don't make recipes with more then 5 ingrdients...my little rule:) heheh but go Kirstin!

* said...

All of these recipes look really good...too bad I will never make any of them since I hate cooking. Here is one of my mottos...If it doesn't come out of a box it isn't worth the time.

LinkWithin